Thursday, November 13, 2008

Do you have any phobia?

I’m acrophobic and claustrophobic. In simple words, I have fear for heights, narrow spaces, congestion. There’s definitely no answer for how I got acquainted with these fears. I’m traveling with them for past several years. Earlier till age 17,I was Achluophobic (fear of darkness) , but now I got used to darkness and it doesn’t fear me anymore.

When I say this acrophobia, I even fear to climb ladder, stand up in a stool, peep from second floor and lots. I always want my foot to be rested in the ground or else it gives me scary thoughts as if I am a suspended particle in air and any time gravity can pull me and I may become invisible. My workplace is in 6th floor of the building and I never peeped from there. It’s such a horrible sight to see below. Whenever I see or try to see below I feel like jumping. I am not sick but it’s that cold feel I get always then the continual reactions will be my palms will become ice cold, I will be trembling a bit, I will reach my seat and give my whole body weight on the cushion…..as if someone has glued me to it. At times people used to make fun of it, but somehow I just ignore them. The other day, we went to shivamani concert arranged in our campus. It’s over crowded so we went to first floor. It was crowded there too and only way to watch is standing on a stool. So shanm brought two stools and he was standing on that. With some guts I got up the stool, stood on that for nearly 10 mins, the music was so mesmerizing and I was completely into it. After 10 mins I just looked down...my foot are trembling and i felt like suspended in sky…next moment I just got down from stool!!!!!!!! Couple of years back, i went trekking...it's little steep and i still remember i was sticking to the rock like lizard for whole 2 hours :(

Regarding the fear of narrow path, the scariest experience is at Prarthana / Aradhana drive-in theatre. It was 4 years back during the release of the movie “Kathal”. The ticket counter looks like a cage…30 foot narrow path build with walls on either side at 15 foot high, the worst part is that its concealed and the space is just 2.5 foot which is fit enough for just one person to stand….just like caged-queue. I went inside the queue and there were no one behind me…and in front of me 5-6 guys were standing. After 3-4 mins there came not less than 10 people behind me. I felt like locked from all the side and I started feeling suffocation. I just started pushing them away and was heading towards exit….when I came out I was just immersed in sweat and I can taste the salty tears in my lips…I was crying like hell. My friends were waiting on the other side of the queue after parking their two-wheelers. I just went straight to siva and told him that it’s too crowded and I cant go inside. He cursed me and he went and bought the tickets.

Somewhat I got used to live with this but i want to overcome this.Can someone suggest how to overcome these fears?

3 comments:

Agni said...

Kadhal namma ellaarum saendhu dhaana paatthaom? :)

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

oh neeyum irundiyaa appo ??? i thought only me, siva, senthil and pulaas went !!!!

ஸ்ரீனிவாசன் said...

if i m not wrong...naama kaathal sernthu paathoma illa chellamey sernthu paathoma ????

PS: i remember, kudaikul mazhai naama rendu peru mattum ponom :)